Tuesday, August 5, 2008

New Beginnings

Welcome to our new blog! Special thanks to my sister, Brigid, for helping design it using the papers from Luke's book. I like this blog because we can post more pictures. I am also hoping to post a slideshow and a few videos of Luke for those of you who were never able to meet him. That will take a little while, though, as I need to take things one day at a time...Anyway, we hope you enjoy our new format. I think that I will still post on CaringBridge so that you know when I update here. I am not yet sure how to send you an e-mail when I update here, so you may want to check back periodically.


Well, this is it! Our new home. We are anxious to make it our "own". I keep referring to it as "their house" instead of "our house". I think once we get rid of the boxes and put pictures up, we will be ready to call it "ours". We have lots of plans for the house and look forward to making lots of memories. Of course, we have lots of feelings that come along with moving. It's funny, because I wish that we just had to deal with the "normal" feelings you have when you move. Instead, we are dealing with much deeper and much more difficult issues. Not a minute goes by when I don't think of our sweet Luke and not a day goes by when I don't weep for him. I just keep thinking that things were supposed to be different and that he should be here with us. But in the end, I know that this is the way that God wanted it to be and that His plan is bigger than any of this. I just hope and pray that I can live up to His plan.

It has been a whirlwind since we arrived in Tennessee last Monday...I will try my best to get you all up to speed with the Haberman Clan. The kids were great on the car ride. Of course, there were arguments and whining, but all-in-all, they did pretty well. They were just excited to see their new home. We spent most of the week in a hotel and shuttled to and from doctor's appointments and restaurants. I can't tell you how happy I was to eat a home cooked meal (yes, I have been making dinner:) ). We got into the house on Friday (we had a few rooms painted) and had amazing movers. They were fast and careful. So far, I think the only casualties were a few Christmas ornaments. All of our china was untouched! We were greeted by the neighbors in the cove (yes, they are "coves" here--not cul-de-sacs) and they are wonderful! So welcoming and helpful! We are truly blessed to have moved onto a street with so many friendly faces. Today, I went to register Emily at school. She will go for a trial day next Wednesday and will begin her full schedule the following week. We find out her teacher next Thursday. I still can't believe that she is in kindergarten (even though she sounds like a 16 year old most of the time). She is very excited! Matthew begins school the last week of August and his teacher's name is Miss Celia. I just hope they are ready for our sweet little terror!

Other than that, things are going smoothly. Like I said, we are FULL with boxes. I think that I will take clothes out of boxes today--that should make the master bedroom feel a lot less cluttered.

On the last update, I told you about the plaque that we made for Luke's site. Her are a few pictures of the kids creating the plaque and in front of it at Luke's site. We were so happy to see that grass is beginning to cover his little area.


Em and Matt decorating at my parents' house


Daddy and kids (that is Pop Pop's marker on the right)

Mommy and kids


Emily kissing Wittle Bubba



Bubba kissing Wittle Bubba

The finished product

That was quite a day and I can't believe that Luke isn't with us. I just miss him so much. Every now and then, reality hits and the gravity of losing a child just leaves me numb. It is strange because it is just a feeling that I can't explain. It's like it is so unbelievable that it sometimes doesn't seem real. I am not sure whether or not that makes sense, but it is the only way I can explain it. Every morning when I wake up, it takes me a few minutes to realize that it is real and that we did lose our precious baby boy. Crazy, huh? But like I said, I know that God has a plan for our family and that Luke is a HUGE part of that plan.

In other absolutely wonderful news, Abby Ostlie received her new heart this weekend!!!! She is recovering right now and is doing GREAT! Please pray for Abby as well as the family who lost a child. What a great gift that family gave to the Ostlies! If you want to check up on Abby, her site is on the "links" section to the right of the page. This family has been on an amazingly difficult ride.

Once again, God Bless you all and your loved ones. Thank you for continuing to check up on our family. We are growing together one day at a time!

9 comments:

Leigh Anne Rayburn said...

The site looks great!

The B Family said...

Luke's marker is perfect!!! I love the new site and your new home is beautiful! I look forward to keeping us with you guys through it.
Many blessings & heart hugs~ Rebecca

manleyfamily said...

Bernie and Haberman bunch - love your new blog site - it's wonderful - thank you for the updates. We miss you in Texas already. Brooke wants Matthew on her soccer team - what a site that would be. Luke's marker looks amazing - You have such a special angel baby - our love and hugs to your family in this strange but exciting time. The Manley's

Bethany said...

Love the marker. Love that you made it happy. Bethany

ann said...

I'm not getting through on your email - annzambetti@gmail.com

That should work for you.
Welcome, I am so excited to meet you!

Lori said...

Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us. I wish there were words that would help ease your pain. Bless you in your new home. It is beautiful!

Staci said...

Hi My name is Staci and your friend Jennifer M. sent me this link - I met her on an embroidery forum.
I also live in C'ville. You will love it here - oh and Miss Celia is who my niece and nephew had last year for their teacher!
I am so sorry to read about your loss of your precious baby! Anyway welcome to town...here is my blog if you want to contact me.
www.thewortmanfamily.blogspot.com
Staci

Anonymous said...

Bernie & Tommy --

I visited the cemetery this afternoon for the first time since Luke's funeral. I did a lot of crying as I had expected. The blue plaque was still there, upside down on George's headstone. I laid it on Luke's grave. I miss him a lot.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Today is going to be tough. But remember that today, just like every day is no longer tough for Luke. He is happy and healthy in heaven playing with his happy and healthy freinds. Just remember that every time your heart aches for him, his heart no longer aches.

I love you all!