Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Happy 5 Months, Luke!

Today our sweet Luke would be 5 months old. Once again, I sit here wondering what he would be doing now: eating solids, sitting up, giggling, laughing at his sister and brother...It's hard because we had so many dreams for Luke, even after he was diagnosed. Although we knew that his life would be difficult, we had hopes for lots of things: he would be a champion golfer, he would share many holidays with us, and he would be the one to find a cure for HLHS. God had other plans for Luke, however, and I know He is using Luke to continue to help our dreams for him come true. Luke may not be the next Tiger Woods or the best cardiothoracic surgeon, but his life continues to make dreams come true. I have faith that Luke's story will help create more awareness for HLHS and congenital heart defects (CHDs) so that other heart children can thrive. That awareness will create more funding for CHDs, funding which is so desperately needed!

If you are familiar with this blog, you already know that I like to share stories of people who made a difference in Luke's life (as well as our entire family's lives). I want to share a little about my Aunt Debby. Debby is my mom's sister and is an amazingly compassionate and caring person. After Luke was diagnosed, Debby (a former cardiac nurse) offered to come to Houston to help us out once Luke came home. Of course, we took her up on the offer! Debby arrived a few days after Luke got home and they had an instant connection. Luke just adored Debby. Each morning after his meds, Debby would feed Luke while I pumped. She was always ready and willing to snuggle with our little sweetie. Debby just loved talking to Luke and looking into his bright blue eyes. He so enjoyed their time together and I know how much he loved her. Debby was with us the night Luke went home to heaven and I know it wasn't easy for her. She has been around heart patients a lot, but something seems so wrong when that heart patient is a 5 1/2 week old baby who did nothing to cause his condition. Debby, you will never know what it meant to me and Tommy to have you as such a big part in our baby boy's life. You were (and are) so amazing and I am so glad that Luke got the chance to know you and your kind spirit. You guys have such a special connection and I am incredibly thankful that God sent you to us during such a difficult time. God bless you!

By the way, my parents came into town last night (after a long trip with a blown out tire--God was certainly watching them!). We went on a tour of the town and celebrated Tommy's birthday with a YUMMY cookie cake. The kids were so excited to show them around the house and to show them their big rooms. Tomorrow is Em's first day of kindergarten. She will find out her teacher on Thursday and have her first full week next week. I am not scared about her going to kindergarten because I know she is ready (I am a teacher, remember? :) ), but I am nervous that I can't be the mom of a kid who goes to school 5 days a week. I'm not sure if I can get lunches ready and homework done each day...UGH! Wish us luck (especially me!). Take care and God Bless!

2 comments:

ann said...

You can do it.

The B Family said...

Happy Birthday, Luke! You are the cutest little boy & we love you so!

We think of you all often & know that our little angels are having the most fun together...and one day soon we will join them in eternal bliss!

Many prayers & blessings~ Rebecca