
I know that tomorrow is Luke's Angel Day, but I wanted to go ahead and post the blog since I wrote it today. The 18th is always a tough day of the month for me. Thanks for keeping an eye on us!
Four months since I held him...Four months since I fed him...Four months since I smelled him...Four months since we said "goodbye". I can't believe that four months have passed. I can't believe that Luke is no longer with us. I can't believe that I lost my baby boy. It still doesn't seem real. It still seems so foreign to me. It still seems like he should be here with us. I am sitting here crying right now. I am crying for Luke, I am crying for Emily and Matthew, I am crying for me and Tommy. I am just crying.
I still can't handle the sight of a baby carrier, even though Luke would probably have grown out of it by now. It is just that Luke was in a baby carrier when he was in the ambulance. The last memory I have of Luke alive was when he was in that carrier. Each time I see one, I either walk the other way, or face my fear and take a deep breath. I am sure it probably sounds silly, but it is just one of those "things" that I have to get over. I'm not sure if I will ever get over all of this, I guess the pain just lessens with time.
While Luke was alive, there were so many prayers offered up to God for him. At first, I wondered why the prayers for Luke weren't answered, but the more I thought about it, the more I believed that the prayers were indeed answered. The prayers were for Luke to get better and to have a healthy heart. The problem is that Luke was never going to have a healthy heart here on earth, at least not his own healthy heart. Luke's heart was not whole and in turn, did not (nor would it ever) work correctly. The only hope for a healthy heart would be a heart transplant. So, when all of our friends and family so thoughtfully sent prayers to heaven, God listened and gave Luke his whole heart. After all, isn't heaven the place where we all would like to live one day? How lucky that Luke was hand picked by God to be with Him? Luke is not hurting and Luke is in paradise. I can only be so blessed to join him there one day. So, thank you for your prayers for our sweet angel--they were heard and they were answered!
A great thing happened to me this past Friday (on the Feast of the Assumption, no less). When we registered at our new parish, they ask if there is anyone in the house who would like to speak to a priest. Of course, I wrote that I would like to speak to the priest about Luke's passing. I didn't think much of it and figured that I would get a call in a few weeks. On Friday, Father Parham from church called to set up an appointment. When he asked about Luke, I broke down. I am not talking about crying a little bit...I mean I wept. I had so many tears streaming down my face that I was making the phone (and probably the carpet) soaking wet. It had been a little while since I broke down like that. I guess that speaking to Father Parham just brought me such a spiritual feeling that I couldn't hold anything in. I felt badly for crying, but he was very patient with me and we made a tentative appointment for the beginning of September as he will be on vacation until then. I am glad that we have joined a parish that is so open and friendly, just as St. Anthony was in The Woodlands.
In case you all are wondering, Emily had a wonderful day at school on Wednesday. She is such a big girl and we are so proud of her. Matthew begins school next Monday and he is ready. He keeps telling us all that he is going to school "tomorrow". It is the same thing each day. The will both have a great time making new friends!
In closing, please continue to pray for all of the sick children. Did you know that Congenital Heart Defects are the #1 birth defect in the US? It is a crazy and scary statistic. I am hoping to begin some work with the hospital here in Memphis for It's My Heart in the next week or two, once things get settled down. My college buddy, Matt, gave me the names of some of the cardiology people there, so it is a GREAT start for me. Thanks so much, Matt! Please pray for Abby's mom, Heather, who had an emergency surgery on Saturday. She is doing fine, but she could use some extra prayers. Abby is doing well and just getting over a urinary tract infection. There are a number of other heart babies who I check on regularly. Some are doing well and others are struggling. Please take a second to say a quick prayer for them. Thanks for checking up on our little family. God bless you all and have a wonderful day!
* On a side note, my mom was asking how to make a comment on this new blog. This is for you mom: at the end of each entry, there is a place that says "__ comments". Just click on the word "comments" and it will take you to a new window. Fill out the form on the right. You may have to create a google account, but that is no big deal. Hope this helps, mom!

10 comments:
Know that I am thinking of you guys and will be thinking of you tomorrow on the 18th...Love, Lauren Moore
Bernie~
I know your heart's aches so well...the baby carrier and the grief. Scott had hid Annabelle's carrier from me and I found it (although not looking for it) a month or so ago. I sat there and wept over it...her binky and pacifier clip still laying in her seat, her animal toys that were the last things that she may have seen, her blanket, her place...
I will say a special prayer for you tomorrow, dear friend.
Please, let's do chat soon...my email is rsbutcher@bellsouth.net.
Hugs to you~ Rebecca
Bernie- As I read your post...my heart literally aches for you and your family. I am sending many prayers your way.
amy
Bernie, I got around to reading the Butcher Family blog and you are so right, Annabelle and Luke do have the same beautiful eyes. We are thinking and praying for you today. Love you.
With continued prayer,
Jacque
Bernie,
Please know that we are thinking of you, praying for you and missing you every day, especially today. Every time I read one of your beautifully written posts I wish you were closer so that I could give you a big hug and remind you how proud Luke must be of his mommy as he watches over you. You are truly amazing!
Jill
May God bless and comfort you and your family every day. I hope you feel His peace more than ever on this terribly rough day.
We are thinking about you, and praying for your family.
Happy angel-day Luke, we all miss you and wish you a beautiful day in Heaven.
Our hearts mourn your loss, and we know Luke is especially close to you today!
Heart hugs and prayers,
Emily
Bernie-
I started reading your caring bridge site back when Heather had put it on Abby's site. I do not know Heather personally, just from checking Abby's site. You are such an amazing mother and I just wanted to let you know you and your family are in my prayers. My daughter has a heart defect as well and mothers like yourself and Heather have shown me so much strength in dealing with this. Thank you Bernie!
Jenelle
Bernie,
Thank you for those beautiful words and for sharing your feelings with us. I know so well that pain and ache that you feel and although our situations are a little different as I never brought Eden home, it still hurts to lose a baby. I was so touched though by your words that our prayers are answered and our little angel babies do now have healthy hearts. I believe that our angels are closer to us than we can imagine and I know that Luke will be especially close to you today watching over you and your family and so proud of you.
Love, Keisa (angel Eden's mommy)
Bernie,
I have followed your journals from the very beginning and have said prayers daily for you and your family. I think about you all the time and hope that you are going to like your new home. WE have moved so may times, and I think that it was always good when I could find a moms group, playgroup, library storytime, etc... It sounds like you have big plans for yourself, which is great I wish you all the best in what you do. I think about you and say extra prayers for you and your family on the 18th - my heart aches for all of you. I admire your strength and faith, you are truly amazing!! Joe is really going to miss you this year. You were a very special teacher and he loves you. Please take care of yourself and know that you all are in our prayers, and we only wish you all the best.
Kari
Post a Comment