Sunday, August 22, 2010

Be An Advocate

The words that have stuck with me over the past two and a half years are not "hypoplastic left heart", "omphalocele", "NICU", "very sick". No, the words that have truly stuck with me since Luke's birth were spoken by a very wise cardiologist named Dr. Mott at TCH. I remember standing with Tommy next to Luke's crib in the CVICU after his Norwood, just touching him, holding his little hand. Dr. Mott came in, a mild mannered, very kind doctor who had the bedside manner of a saint. We were asking all of our questions (ok, so I was asking the questions, but hey my husband is not much of a talker) and Dr. Mott was so eloquent in his answers. Toward the end of our conversation, Dr. Mott told us the following: "You are your child's best advocate. Doctors and nurses always seem very busy, but if you are concerned about something, then you need to be the one to ask a doctor or nurse." Of course I took these words to heart (and still do, with each of our children), but I never realized how true these words were until we lost Luke.

The reason I want to talk about this is because I know a lot of moms and dads reading this right now who may be dealing with a sick kiddo. I have talked about it before, and I still feel it: I will always feel as though I failed Luke in his last week with us. I knew something was wrong. I told the doctors that he wasn't right. BUT, I wasn't his advocate. I didn't push for an echo at his last clinic visit (on the day he died). No, I was being too selfish. I remember that Tommy was in Atlanta the last week that Luke was alive. I told him that day that I didn't think we would be coming home from the clinic visit, that the cardiologist would admit him to TCH because (again) I knew that something was wrong. So imagine my surprise when she told us that all of his tummy troubles were from reflux (which I still believe he never had) and that his cold hands didn't mean anything. We could go home...no hospital stay. I'm not sharing this so that you will write me notes telling me that I didn't fail him, that I didn't screw up in some way. I am just sharing to let others know how important it is to be your child's advocate. Luke couldn't tell us what was wrong, but as his mother, I knew that something wasn't right. That his heart was having issues. I should have been his advocate and demanded that the cardiologist perform the necessary tests. Instead, I failed. I took the easy way out and I will never forgive myself for that. The what-ifs drive me crazy, but I am confident that Luke is much better off in heaven than he would be here on earth.

Again, I am not writing this post looking for a pity party. No, I want to make sure that everyone reading this remembers our story when they are questioning whether or not to push something with a doctor or surgeon. Ask the questions. Demand the tests. Advocate for your child. If something doesn't feel right to you, let your child's doctor know that you are concerned. You know your child better than anyone. Please take care of them or no one else will.

If your child is a heart patient, I have spoken to a few heart professionals and they are beginning to believe that heart failure begins in the gut. Luke had exhibited "gut" issues the week before he passed (he had never had issues before then). He was vomiting after almost every feeding and he seemed to be in pain. My father and I let them know at the last clinic visit and the cardiologist dismissed his issues as reflux. I took this as the truth as doctors know a whole lot more than I do. Now I realize that Luke's little tummy was probably failing, and I didn't advocate for him.

I know this is yet another deep post, but this is another thing that has weighed on my mind for so long. Tommy and I learned a lot from our experience with Luke. We used this lesson to advocate for James during his NICU stay and continue to advocate for each of our kids. I just really want to encourage each and every one of you to listen to your instincts and to trust your gut. Advocate for your child, because, as Dr. Mott told us: "You are your child's best advocate."

Please continue to pray for all of the sick kiddos. A friend from my MOPS group is expecting a sweet baby girl in December and she just found out that she has a CHD. I believe that this precious child will be just fine, but it is so scary for Mommy and Daddy. Another blogger mommy is expecting a baby boy soon and he also has a CHD as well as hydrops. I am praying so hard that God performs a miracle for this family as they have already lost a baby girl and a baby boy who had HLHS. God bless you all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bernie, words aren't enough. I wish I could be closer. I wish I could hug you. I love you.

I was there, too. I saw it, too. The night before. I knew he wasn't okay, but I wanted things to be okay. And I didn't advocate either. And I am so sorry.


-Katie

The B Family said...

Oh friend...I know we've talked about this before and it's probably the biggest thing that I struggle with in my grief. I should've done more. But...all in all, we didn't know that our babies were going to be gone so quickly. I have to remind myself that we had handed them over time after time after time and they kept coming back to us okay. What did I know about HLHS anyways? Nothing compared to the medical team. But, then I struggle with the fact that I am her mother and I should have known...something, anything, there were changes, more reflux, less desire to eat, more sleeping, the diapers had changed some...I just can't relive it. But, I have learned and I know you have too. I am comforted in knowing that regardless of what I did do or didn't do...it was her time...it was his time. Their perfect moment picked out before this earth to join the heavenly realms. It's so painful here though.
I love you, friend...and am so thankful for your honesty.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, Thanks so much for sharing. I remember Dr. Mott exactely as you described. We are going through some issues with Khloe' right now with constipation and we are teetering back and forth on what to do. Should we add this to the long list of tests she has to have when we go to TCH in November or should we spare her the fear and discomfort. I keep saying to myself and my husband that as her mother I just can't let it go and say as the doctor here in Qatar has said, "she is scared to poop b/c she had pain before, I don't think anything is wrong." I pray he is right but I just cant let it go. Especially since after her heart several small things have surfaced (hernia, problems with her feet). I really needed to hear what you said in this post to give me the courage to press the issue. Thank you for reminding me to advocate for Khloe'! God bless you and your family, I love seeing James trying to hold his backpack, I have pictures of my twins when they were his age doing the same thing! Beautiful family you have! May God bless you and continue to lead you in leading others! Kiley Ghaddar

Britt CLearie said...

Sometimes the things we don't do are a God thing. Sometimes He keeps us quiet for a reason. Even if we knew we "should have" said something or done something, we don't. Sometimes I think he puts a hand on us like the loving father he is and keeps us quiet so HIS PLAN can go forth -- even if it messes up our plan.