Sunday, March 7, 2010

Birthday Week

This time two years ago, we were anxiously awaiting the birth of our third child, a son. Well, he was a girl from about 18 weeks until 37 weeks, but he was all boy. I remember going crazy trying to return all of those girl clothes after having three baby showers for Ava Caroline (aka Luke Thomas). A bit of advice: if you purchase a gift at Target, be sure to include the gift receipt as they will not refund or exchange items without a receipt. Fun times with Target!

Anyway, the three weeks before Luke's birthday are still a bit of a blur. Looking back, I wish I would have spent more time truly cherishing the gift of life that I was carrying: a child who was already fighting to live. I wish that I could remember the feeling of his kicks, of his twists and turns. Unlike my other children, Luke spent more time inside of my womb rather than outside. Luke and I have a special bond because he lived inside of me. I knew him for 9 whole months and others only had the privilege of knowing him for 5 1/2 weeks. How lucky am I? How blessed am I? I just wish that everyone else got to know him as well as I did...he was like no other.

As we enter the week of his birthday, I am asking everyone to remember those children with congenital heart defects and their families. There is a special little boy names Carter Oswalt. I have gotten to know mom Lindy and her husband Bo over the past few months in person, on the phone, and on their blog. Please visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/carteroswalt to learn more about this cute little boy. Carter was also born with HLHS, suffered a stroke when he was a baby, and is now waiting for a heart at Vanderbilt in Nashville. Carter has been inpatient since December 4th and his spirits are waning. Can you imagine being a five year old little boy and having to live in the hospital? Carter has a big brother Spencer and twin baby siblings Landon and Isabella. This family is amazing and their story is full of faith. Please take a moment to check out their site and leave a message. As a fellow heart mom, it means so very much to see that people care about your child. I know that they would love any words of encouragement you have.

Tommy, the kids, and I are so very excited about our trip to Houston. Emily can't wait to work on her Harumika fashion dolls with Nana and Matthew is looking forward to a haircut/Panda Express date with Grampa (no kidding, the kid loves that place). We have a huge list of places that we want to eat: Rico's, Shipleys, Eden Cafe, and Black Walnut are "must eats". We look forward to celebrating Luke's life on Saturday and to visiting with friends and family. I spoke with Sam at Earthman (the cemetery) and he told me that they will put out a tent as well as table and chairs for us. So, we will be there rain or shine...it looks like there will be gorgeous weather on Saturday. I wanted to let everyone know that children are welcome. Our kids (as well as other "little" family members and friends) will be there. We are excited about our turnout...if you haven't let me know that you will be there, please comment on this post so that we will have enough snacks for everyone. We can't wait to see everyone!

As always, I thank you for reading the blog. I hope that you all have a wonderful week and God bless!

6 comments:

The B Family said...

You are always such an inspiration to me, Bernie!

Thinking of you & holding you so close to my heart...these are his days and I know they are so very sacred & blessed. You are right...we are the lucky ones!

I love you~ Rebecca

Lori Davis said...

I wish I could be there with you this week to celebrate Luke, to be with your family and to give you a hug! We will be thinking of Luke this week and especially on his birthday. Love you all!

Unknown said...

Damian, Patrick and I will be there on Saturday. It is Patrick's birthday too.

Maureen Lall

Blair said...

I'm going to try to be there, probably just withy little heart guy. Praying for you, and for all sufferring heart families.

The Mason Family said...

If I remember correctly, I first learned of your family through Abby Ostile...however I came to "know" you, I am so happy that I did. You are a woman of strength and I admire you for that Bernie; I look forward to the day that we can meet in person. I really do wish that I lived closer so that I could celebrate Luke's birthday with you...thoughts and prayers ALWAYS!

The Anthamattens said...

As I read through your posts I see what great love you have for your family. You were blessed even for a few moments to hold sweet Luke close, to smell his sweet smell, to feel his soft skin. Thank you Lord for the time you gave the Haberman family. We are thinking of you and praying for you all as you celebrating Luke's life and the legacy he left on this earth. A legacy that continues to bless all those around you. Happy Birthday Luke.