Monday, October 6, 2008

Our New Little Boy...

GORGEOUS BABY BOY!!!!


Good evening everyone!
Well, to say that today has been eventful would be an understatement. I went to the high risk OB, Dr Schneider, today. Tommy was unable to make it, so I was there by myself. Well, I say "by myself", but I know there were so many prayers going out for our little Cuatro. So I guess that you could say that the room was FULL of people! I saw some absolutely BEAUTIFUL things today: a great brain, a gorgeous spine, kidneys, bladder, no more previa (woo!hoo!), and a MAGNIFICENT 4 CHAMBER HEART! I was so excited to see that so far, Baby's little heart is looking perfect. Of course, we will have MANY more level 2 ultrasounds and will have to keep an eye on it for any defects, but so far, so good! I did see something not so great today: Cuatro does indeed have an omphalocele. Part of his small intestine is growing out of his belly, but is contained in a thin membrane. No matter what, we are looking at a surgery to fix him up. After what we went through with Luke, this is a piece of cake as it can be fixed. BUT, there is a 25% chance that Cuatro has a chromosomal defect, either Trisomy 13 or 18. If you know anything about either one of these, neither is good. They are both fatal and cannot be treated. The baby will not make it. But, I know that we need to look at the better side of things: that he has a 75% chance of this being just an omphalocele. Of course, that is what we are praying for: a simple omphalocele. Luckily, everything in the level 2 looked perfect today and there were no signs of a chromosomal defect, but they can show up later in other ultrasounds. I spoke with my OB, Dr. Tinker, and he was encouraged that they did not see any facial, brain, foot, or heart abnormalities as those can go with a chromosomal defect. He made me feel so much better! He is truly an amazing doctor!
If you are a member of any church, church group, or prayer list, I would like to ask if you can add our baby boy to your list? This is very scary for me and Tommy and we are just going to immerse ourselves in prayer. All we want is to hold our baby boy on our chests and let him fall asleep on us. We were never able to do that with Luke as his chest was still healing and he couldn't be on his tummy. The more people who are praying for our little one, the better I know he will be. We really appreciate your help with this!!!! We are determined to figure out his name this week as I am so ready to start calling him by name (and so that he can have a name on prayer lists). We have a number of apostles and saints who are on the top of our list (go figure with names like Matthew, Luke, and Bernadette--Em's middle name for the others)!

Thank you, once again for checking up on us. We appreciate any and all prayers for Cuatro--he is already such a HUGE part of our family and we look forward to meeting him! God Bless!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been following your blog for quite awhile and was sending many, many prayers your way today. I am continuing to lift you up in prayer as you walk this road. I pray that you feel God's arms around you and know that He will CONTINUE to carry you!!

We are at about the same stage of pregnancy right now and after having a child with special needs and a diagnois' that is congential, I can understand a LITTLE (a very little) of how you might be feeling.

Many positive thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

http://www.babababies.com/gateway.cfm?siteID=11755

Unknown said...

He looks like Emily in profile! I am sure that Cuatro has a simple omphalocele, and that they can fix him up quickly and easily. Then he will have a really cool scar to show all of the babes at school! As far as a name goes, I think "Brigido" is a great name for a boy -- don't you agree?

Love,

Auntie Brigid

The Ridgway Family said...

Bernie,
He looks absolutely beautiful and I am so thankful that his heart is in tact. Why did they give you odds for Trisomy 13 or 18? IS it because of the intestine issue? We have friends in our neighborhood whose daughter was born with all of her small and large intestines outside of her body and she is almost 12 and as active, normal and beautiful as can be.

If you would like to chat more I would love to talk with you via email. My email is kridgway@cox.net.

Congratulations on a perfect, healthy heart!

Keisa

thetsatouchedme said...

Hey, Bernie,

We're sending lots of prayers. Please name this child something cool, like Katie. A little boy named Katie would HAVE to be tough. I don't like Brigido for a name. I prefer Katie. Seriously.

We love you!!!!
Auntie Katie

Lori said...

What a gorgeous little boy! Our church will pray for him Bernie. I am so sorry that this stress has been added to your pregnancy. I am praying for you daily.

Jill said...

Bernie and fam,

He looks absolutely adorable... we can't wait to meet him! We are so happy to hear the wonderful news that his heart and other organs look normal and healthy. We will continue to pray for your precious baby boy and for the doctors that are going to fix his tummy!

The Gordleys

The Mason Family said...

Glad to hear that his heart looks perfect! I continue to pray for your family…

Shannon Mason

Allie said...

HI Bernie. I just saw that you have a blog (we do too!)I am so excited for you and Tommy!!! This is a wonderful time again for you. Please lift all concerns and fears up to Jesus. He will take care of you all as always. We are also expecting another baby and have fears too! We are 16 weeks along. Keep praying and I'll keep praying for you and your family. Keep me posted! Lindsey's blog is http://lindseylegrand.blogspot.com/
if you want to check it out! Lots of hugs and prayers,
Love, Allison (Stephenson) LeGrand

Blair said...

Bernie and family,
I too am following your pregnancy on the blog and sending MANY prayers up for adorable little "Cuatro"! I have emailed our homeschool group at St. A asking for prayers as well. I'm so sorry you're having to face another medical issue but am glad to hear that your previa is gone! I'm sure little saint Luke is praying hard for his baby brother and will help you all find peace with whatever comes your way. You are a strong bunch and an inspiration to all of us!

Kelly Thomas said...

Cuatro is so precious already! Thank God for that whole heart and many prayers for blue skies! I have my play group praying for you and your family and will put y'all on our church list too! I know you'll pick the perfect name and that he will live up to all that it means. (((Big hugs!)))

Virginia Cox said...

Hello Bernie & Tommy,

I follow your blogs and am so happy to hear that Cuatro's heart is complete. I will pray that the Trisomy factor does not to be, and I know that God and Luke in Heaven will keep a watch over Cuatro.

I am thinking of you always.