Tomorrow, eight years have passed since we welcomed a 6-pound, 15 ounce baby Luke Thomas to the world.
Perfection.
He was perfection.
Perfection with a perfectly imperfect heart.
There were so many feelings that day: joy and sadness. Anticipation and fear. Confidence and anxiety.
A few weeks ago, I experienced another emotion: peace.
Tommy had a business trip in Houston at the end of February. As a gift for my birthday as well as a way to visit Luke, he bought a ticket for me and arranged for my (awesome) sister Rita to watch the kids.
The trip to Houston was nothing short of amazing. I truly didn't realize how much I missed my hometown. Tommy worked most of the time, so I spent my days and nights visiting with family and friends.
We went to visit Luke shortly after we landed in Houston. The day was beautiful and we were able to spend some time with our boy. We even took a selfie with his stone:
We stopped to visit him again on the way back to the airport. I prayed, asking him to send us a sign that he was near. The wind was blowing and there were some pinwheels that were spinning at another grave. As much as I wanted that to be the sign I had been praying for, I knew in my heart that it was simply the wind. I had no idea that the sign I would receive would be so much more profound.
As I said, the trip was amazing. But that's not what this post is about. It's all about him.
Luke.
On his eighth birthday.
And about the peace that he gave me shortly after our trip.
But this story actually began a few years ago...
Those who know my father are aware that my he is a very spiritual man. He is a cradle Catholic attended Catholic school through high school and he is a devout member of the church. When I have a question about faith, I usually ask my dad. After Luke died, I had so many questions.
One was major: how old are we in heaven?
Of course, this opens up the opportunity for even more questions: Will Luke still be a baby? Will he know me? Who has been with him since we lost him? Who has taken care of him?
I was once talking to a priest and he said, "there are no babies in heaven".
I was devastated.
So naturally, I asked my dad (because to me, he obviously knows more than the priest :) ). I was confused. I was disheartened. I was crushed. I asked him to tell me his thoughts on the subject. My father, in all of his infinite wisdom and faith, told me something that stuck: he believes that in heaven, we are in the prime of our lives.
The prime of our lives.
Just as Adam and Eve were when they were created. And as Jesus was when He died on the cross.
That's a great thought, right? The definition of prime is "of the best quality; excellent". You can define the word "heaven" using the same words. It makes perfect sense.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when we returned from our trip to Houston.
I can't tell you how or when it happened. I know that at some point, Rita and I were talking about heaven. And I *think* that I was discussing heaven with one of our children. Again, I truly cannot tell you how or when it happened.
When Luke sent me the sign that I had prayed for at his grave.
I'm not sure if you would call it a vision (that is definitely not the charism given to me by God--I was told that my gift is encouragement), but I know that it was not a dream. Luke has visited me in my dreams before. But this time was different. I was awake. And it was instant. It was just all of a sudden fact. There was no question.
I saw Luke. Not standing right in front of me, but I saw him in my mind. Not as a baby, not even as a child.
In the prime of his life.
Luke was a young man. A handsome young man, tall and slender. His hair was a light brown/dark blonde and it was short. He was so handsome. Like movie star handsome. Such a beautiful sight to see. I couldn't tell you much about his features, but I do remember his nose. Probably because that was the first thing I noticed about him after he was born. It was a perfectly-shaped, very masculine nose. What a strange thing to remember, but I can recall it vividly.
We didn't speak, but I knew. I knew instantly that he will be there to welcome me when I enter the gates of heaven. He will accompany me to paradise. This young man, in the prime of his life.
No words. Just peace.
That is what he gave me: a glimpse of what I will never see here on earth: our Luke in the prime of his life.
I am so thankful to my father for being patient with each of my questions as I know it is not easy for him to talk about Luke without becoming emotional. His insight helped me understand things a lot better.
Tomorrow, we will celebrate his life once again. We will go to a soccer game, head to Dave and Buster's, followed by dinner at Chuy's, and a balloon release and cake when we return home.
I hope that this post has given you some peace if you are grieving a loved one and may God bless you. Thank you for remembering Luke.





4 comments:
This is a very moving post and so eloquently written. I can't fathom what it is like to lose a baby, but I've lost my dad and think of him often.
I think it is amazing you have found peace after death of a loved one. That is something I am still searching for. I'm also happy to know that people think we are cured of all that ails us in heaven because so many times I pray that my Dad is in a much better place and free from what affected him while on earth.
I will remember your blog as an inspiration and hope that one day, I will find peace as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and may God bless you and your family.
Shannon
That is beautiful and I'm so happy you received the gift of peace. Your dad is amazing and he reminds me a lot of my father. We miss my father every day and this helps me remember him in the prime of his life. Thank you for sharing it.
Bringing peace a little closer. Bless you, Luke, and your Dad.
This gives me goosebumps, Bernie. I have been interested recently in the difference between happiness and joy. I know that the way for us to experience joy is through peace given to us through our loved ones and the plan Jesus Christ has for each of us. I am so thankful that you have felt His peace. This will surely lead to joy. Miracles and blessings happen. Luke's legacy is proof of that. I love you. Thank you for sharing something so close to your heart.
Post a Comment