This time last year, we were waiting. Now I find myself waiting once again. The difference is that last year we were waiting to welcome a healthy baby boy. This year, we are waiting to celebrate his birthday without him here. How do you celebrate an angel's birthday? What will he think when he hears us sing "Happy Birthday"? Will he realize how much we miss him? Will he realize how much we wish he was here with us? Will he realize that we have not forgotten about him? I don't ever want Luke to think that we have forgotten about him or that we have abandoned him. I would give anything to have all four of our children with us.
Luke's first birthday is this Thursday, March 12th. I can't believe all that we have faced this year. We have had unimaginable triumphs and unthinkable tragedy. We have buried one son and welcomed yet another. We have spent weeks in the NICU with two boys, praying incessantly over their cribs. We have left friends in Texas and made new ones in Tennessee. We have relied on God more than ever before. And in the end, through our faith, we have persevered. As James' letter in the Bible says, "for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:3-4. If you remember, this is one of the reasons that we gave James his name. I read this passage at night while James was in the hospital and it helped renew my faith each time. I feel like the character in the poem, "Footprints" (the one where God carries the man during the trials in his life). God has held me closely during this year and I think I am finally at the point where I can walk by myself. Besides, God must have gotten pretty tired carrying me all that way!!!! I thank God for giving me the strength I have needed to get through this year.
So, as we prepare for Luke's birthday, I am reminded of our other heart angel friends who have recently celebrated their first birthdays. Eden and Annabelle just had birthdays within the last month. Their mothers wrote beautiful tributes to them and I am so glad to have them as Heart Mom friends. The kids are going to help bake and decorate a cake and we will release balloons for Luke and his friends to play with. If Luke touched your life in any way, please take a second to say or sing "Happy Birthday" to our angel on Thursday...I know he would love it! I think the hardest part about Luke's birthday is that we won't be able to visit him at the cemetery. Luckily, my brother-in-law, Mike, will be in Houston and he is going to visit Luke. I know that will make Luke smile as I am sure that he and Mike would have been good buddies (Mike is amazing with our kiddos). Thank you for doing this, Mike. You have no idea how much we appreciate this!!!!
Thank you for journeying with us throughout this past year. Your prayers and support have been wonderful and we are so thankful that you all are in our lives. God bless you all!
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
My dearest Bernie,
Have faith that Luke is not only sure that he's always in your and our hearts but he's also watching over you and your family. As you say he's your angel and angels are there to protect us all but especially his loved ones. I bet ya right now he's very close to baby James and giving him all the strength he's gotten since he was born.
Take care of you sweety and I'll remember March 12th to send out a special Happy Birthday to your little angel.
A huge hug from Paris
Sweet friend~ We would be honored to remember Luke and sing "Happy Birthday" to him! I had been thinking of something to do for him so I am glad that you shared with us your heart so we will know just what to do! I am praying for you as you face this week without one of your precious children...the void is never filled but the beauty is found in our faith and KNOWING that our little angels are near to us and keeping watch over our families now. I love you, friend! I will be calling soon and holding you close in the coming days.
Love to you~ Rebecca
Baby Luke will forever be in our thoughts and prayers each and every day. We will do something special for Luke on his birthday.
We love you all. Kathy, Chris, Elizabeth, Meg and Caroline
Bernie,
you continue to amaze me. Thanks for the inspiration! And I'm so happy to hear that after the incredibly challenging past 12 months that you are starting to feel you can walk by yourself again (I love the Footprints poem) Isn't it great to know we have God to carry us on those times that we need it?
If you would like, our family would be happy to visit Luke's gravesite this week. Just email me personally and we can talk about details. My kids love to do art projects like Emily and Matthew so we could create something to leave (if that's allowed by the cemetery rules).
Let me know!
Beverly
(substitute the @ symbol)
beverlykloeselatsbcglobal.net
Bernadette, your strength is amazing to me. I have been keeping up with your family and life, albeit far away I know. I am trying to think of the "right" words to say but, as a mother, I cannot begin to understand the pain you have endured.
Oh Luke, you have made me look at myself and my children in such a pure way. Thank you for that. Happy Birthday to you.
Bernie, your son blesses us all and I feel much comfort in that.
Thank you.
Shanna Barton
Post a Comment