The other day, I was searching for HLHS poetry and found this really neat poem. I had never seen it before and thought I would share it with all of you. I think it is really sweet and nice. It really points to the fact that Luke was "loaned" to us from God. I feel privileged that Tommy and I were chosen to be the parents of an amazing angel, as well as parents to three other miracles! Here is the poem:
A Child Loaned
This is a poem is found in the prologue to the book Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome: A Guide for Parents
This is a poem is found in the prologue to the book Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome: A Guide for Parents
I'll lend you for a little time
a child of mine,"
He said,"for you to love the whole while he lives.
It may be six or seven years
or twenty-two or three,
but will you, till I call him back,
take care of him for me?"
"He'll bring his charm to gladden you,
and should his stay be brief,
you'll have his lovely memories
as solace for your grief."
"I cannot promise he will stay
since all from earth return,
but there are lessons taught down there
I want this child to learn."
"I've looked this wide world over
in my search for teachers true,
and from the things that crowd life's lane
I have selected you."
"Now will you give him all your love
nor think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call
and take him back again?"
"I fancied that I heard them say
'Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
for all the joy the child shall bring
the risk of grief we'll run.'
'We'll shelter him with tenderness;
We'll love him while we may,
and for the happiness we've known
forever grateful stay.
But should the angels call for him
much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
and try to understand.'"
- Edgar Guest
I hope you enjoyed this beautiful poem! We have had a lot of fun lately and have some great pictures. I will post them the next time I write. The kids have had snow and went to a sock hop--I can't wait to share our pics!
On the James front, we have an announcement: we have begun a CaringBridge site for him and the address is www.caringbridge.org/visit/jameshaberman. Please be sure to visit to get updates on James. We thought it would be great for James to have his own site...please visit and send the site to all of your friends and family. The latest update on him is on there--hope you enjoy our new site!
Once again, God bless you all for your support, love, and faith. You are amazing people and we are so thankful for all of you.

3 comments:
So very sweet...thank you for sharing. We're still praying for your angel Luke and all of the other children who continue to fight day in and day out. Thank you for the updates !
Bernie, that is a beautiful poem! I especially love the line about all the joy that they've brought to us being worth the grief we have now...oh, I wouldn't trade anything for those memories and the pure laughter that Annabelle brought into our home! She is a pill! It's those memories that we have to focus on...to allow us to heal slowly and love deeply.
I will check out James' site right now! Thank you for setting that up for your special sweet boy so we can stay in the loop!
Love you~ Rebecca
Bernie, I loved the poem. It is so very true that we struggle to accept and understand our grief, but the joy, happiness and love that our babies gave us were completely worth it all. I tell people all the time that for Eden, I would do it all again.
I too talk about her to complete strangers all the time. She was, is and will always be a part of our family, a daughter, a sister, a Ridgway so I have to mention her.
I think of you all the time and little James. I can't wait to see pictures of him. Take care of yourself and know that you are thought of and prayed for here in AZ.
Love, Keisa
Post a Comment